Skin cancer surgery with Dr Kian
Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the UK. Most skin cancers can be cured if detected early. There are 2 main types of skin cancer: melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer. If you are worried about a mole or you think it has changed, it is always advisable to get it checked by a trained specialist. Dr Kian has experience treating a variety of skin cancers as a Consultant Plastic Surgeon in the NHS. Dr Kian specialises in safe removal of skin cancer and follows national expert guidelines on skin cancer treatment.
Dr Kian would always advise for any skin lesion removed to be sent for histological analysis (examined microscopically by a pathologist) to ensure that a skin cancer diagnosis is made or ruled out, and appropriate further treatment is given to you if needed.
- Performed by Dr Kian, a UK-trained Consultant Plastic Surgeon who is trained in skin cancer & reconstructive plastic surgery techniques
- Member of the Skin Cancer Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) in the NHS providing treatment for skin cancer patients
- Trained in dermatoscopy for detailed examination of skin lesions
- Experience in different techniques of skin surgery including full excision, shave excision, biopsies, local flaps & skin graft reconstruction techniques
- Consultation and full aftercare provided by Dr Kian
The following are the features in your mole to look out for if you are worried about melanoma (ABCDE criteria):
- Asymmetry – the 2 halves of your mole are different
- Border – the edges of your mole are irregular or blurred
- Colour – there are different shades of colour within your mole
- Diameter – your mole is at least 6mm in size
- Evoloution – your mole has changed
The following are the features to look out for if you are worried about non-melanoma skin cancer:
- A scab or sore that does not heal
- A scaly or crusty patch of skin that has red borders
- A flesh-coloured bump that grows in size
- A volcano-like growth with a central crater
During your consultation, Dr Kian will be able to perform dermatoscopic examination of your skin lesion and you will be able to discuss your concerns. Dr Kian will discuss your options depending on the type of skin lesion you have, and this includes having a biopsy, full excision or shave excision. If you require reconstruction, as a plastic surgeon Dr Kian will be able to offer this at the same time and this will include local flap, full-thickness skin grafts and split-thickness skin grafts. He will also explain what sort of scars to expect and how long it will take to recover from surgery.
Dr Kian has had extensive training using various different techniques of skin surgery and reconstruction procedures. He will be able to tailor your procedure to ensure that you achieve the best cosmetic results while ensuring that your skin lesion is removed safely.